I can't wait! This winter seems like it has gone on forever. Enough with the freezing temperatures! Enough with the fog! Let's have sunshine, flowers, fresh tomatoes!
In reality I know we have to have the cold, long dark nights if we want to enjoy the beauty in the spring and summer. While we have been hiding away in our warm houses, all kinds of things have been happening underground. In the weeks ahead, we can see evidence of life if we take the time to get close to the earth and look.
I am sure I can find a spiritual lesson there if I meditate a bit. In fact, the garden is a favorite place of mine to see God's hand at work. There are a lot of every day lessons to be found there.
I have BIG plans for my little space this year. It looks like most of our big trees will be coming down due to old age and I will have sun on my yard! Over the years, I have become a shade plant expert and now I get to branch out into a whole new section of the nursery! With my grandkids living so close now, I can enlist them as helpers and I have lots of plans.
Now is the time to be designing, pursuing seed catalogs and reading gardening magazines. There isn't a lot to do in the garden right now. Get rested up! It won't be long the the fun begins!
This picture is at our house beside the flax that does so well here. It is an annual but reseeds itself quite well! The little flowers only last a day but there are hundreds of them on each plant. It is great for naturalizing and is already turning green in some sheltered places in my flower beds.
I wanted to share my favorite gardening magazine, "Garden Gate." There are always tons of ideas on simple things to make for the garden like trellis, lots of planting ideas, and beautiful pictures. When I was working on my horticulture degree, this magazine was a constant source of ideas for me.
A great book for gardeners and my favorite if you want to grow perennials is "The Well-Tended Perennial Garden" by Tracy DiSabato-Aust. It's is great because it tells you what to do with the plant and when to do it.
Happy gardening!!!
Hi, Mom! Great first post! Those sure are cute kids! :) I was thinking maybe you could do a question/answer thing on here to help out those of us that are missing our green thumbs?
ReplyDeleteCan we look at some of your "Garden Gate" magazines this weekend?
You sure can. I have at least 10 years worth!
ReplyDeleteHi "Katie's Mom". ;) I look forward to following your blog...I could stand to learn a thing or two about plants, gardening, etc. Somehow I have a feeling though, that gardening in Idaho is a bit different than gardening in TX. Oh well, I'll enjoy the pretty pictures.
ReplyDeleteI had the pleasure of meeting your daughter and grandchildren in Beaverton. I truly enjoy her blog and I can see where she gets a lot of creativity from. The saying goes " The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!!" You did a fabulous job on her!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Billie!!! Great to see that you're blogging too!!! Talk about plants...I still have my shady area to fill up. We planted fern in the beginning, but they didn't like it there for some reason. Next time you visit to OR, please, please, please stop by...I could sure use some advise! ---I'll pay you with Green Tea bags! ;)
ReplyDeleteBe careful counting your chicken's before they hatch...we had beautiful daffodils, roses, poppys, etc. blooming and the day before Parma convention, we woke up to 3 inches of snow and everything froze. I can't WAIT for spring to arrive.
ReplyDelete