Monday, March 2, 2009

Spring Flowers

I looked out the office window this morning around 7 and it was starting to get light! What a wonderful sight! Can Spring be far behind!

I went to Katie's house last week and did a walk-about. It is exciting to me to see her eagerness to start gardening. The flowerbeds around her house are not very exciting (Sorry Katie!) so I wanted to get some idea of what we are dealing with. When I plan a bed for someone, I always ask them what their favorite flowers and colors are and then try to incorporate them as much as possible. Ryan wants to have lots of butterflies so I set him to work researching what flowers butterflies like and then together we will figure out if they grow well here.

The Boise area can be a challenge because of the hardness of the ground. We have nearly pure sand here in Parma and as long as I have water, I can grow nearly anything. There are always challenges in gardening here in the West but we have lots of choices. Last year I planted a bunch of native plants and will be looking to see if they come back. Fred Meyers had an awesome selection last year and I hope to add some more to my garden.

This lupine is one I planted last year in a shady area. They can get huge and bloom early in the Spring. They also grow wild here in Idaho.


This is a fuchsia from last year. It wasn't real happy here so probably won't be back!


Chives are a great plant to have in your garden. They are not only pretty but tasty! Plant these next to Lambs Ear for a very attractive picture.
My favorite Spring flower - the Iris!
Bleeding Heart - this perennial is already starting to grow. I am going to set out more of these this Spring. If you don't put them in the sun and keep them watered well, they will bloom a long time.

Happy days!!!

3 comments:

  1. Billie, it's just great to visit your blog! I haven't ventured into this world as my free time is still very limited but I very much enjoy browsing the posts of others, especially my dear friends like you! We still have a covering of snow but it is melting some everyday. We'll soon get a week, or two or three, of strong winds and the ground will dry up in no time. It's thrilling to have more hours of daylight as we change seasons and I can't wait to get stirring the soil! I'll be checking in to see what you are sharing. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Billie! What fun to visit your "spring" blog. Seems like ages since I have visited with you! Too much to do here! We still have a snow covering but it is melting some every day. Soon we'll get a week, or two or three, of strong winds and the ground will dry right out. I'm loving the longer daylight hours and can hardly wait to begin stirring the soil. I'll be checking in to see what you are sharing. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Thanks so much for helping us with our plain ol' flower beds. Can't wait to look out and see color. I was thinking the bed under the window on the side of the house would be fantastic for a butterfly garden. Can't wait to come to the farm this weekend to help clean out the old so the new can grow!

    ReplyDelete